Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Natural Senses Relief Sculpture

This is after the chapter titled “How to Make Moose Soup” in the book Natural History of the Senses. I decided to make a sculpture to in a way protest moose hunting which is a prevalent part in the chapter since it tells you how to make soup, out of a moose. I decided to create, what in my mind, a hunting trophy would look like. I also decided to add moose antlers to it to show that it is supposed to symbolize a moose. I used spray insulation foam and spray paint. I also included Aluminum foil to keep a structure. I used foam board to create a stand for the sculpture.



"The Hunt"

19x12x6

Insulation Foam, Foam Board, Spray Paint, Aluminum Foil


Inspiration: 


Ravi Shankar 


https://www.saatchiart.com/ravishanka45


Fabian Ewert


https://fabianewert.com/en/mixed-gallery/

Margery Amdur


https://www.margeryamdur.com/


Artist Statement: 

This sculpture explore the unnecessary fasciation that many have with hunting and the particularly moose of Canada. I decided to incorporate what I see a hunting trophy as, while I also attached antlers to the piece to symbolize a moose. As I read the chapter that provided the initial inspiration for my piece I thought about how  raw and disgusting to me it is to hunt moose for sport. This fueled the inspiration for the project. I think that this content is important because if re done and executed it could be shown as a protest to stop hunting and protect the beautiful wildlife that moose are to many people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Experimental Sculpture

 Repetition Sculpture:  "She Bleeds In Spirals" 16x6 Wood, Wire, Yarn/String, Paint Negative Space Sculpture: "Trapped" ...